Pages

Saturday 7 May 2011

I love Nintendo!

Anyone who reads my blog may ask: "You seem to rant a lot about Plastation and Xbox but where is the Nintendo love?"

Well, it was probably because Nintendo doesn't really participate in the console war that I like to debate about.  Here are a couple of facts about Nintendo: They are behind the competition in sales and I freaking love them un-conditionally!  Nintendo wasn't the first in the video game industry but in my opinion it is the first important one!  It was really the NES (Nintendo entertainment System) that started worldwide popularity of videogames and of course my ever lasting love for video games.

The first game I ever played was Duck Hunt.  My Dad gave me the gun and before I knew it I was a serial duck killer.  I was good at it, too!  Then I started with Super Mario Bros (which was included on the Duck Hunt cart).  I was hooked!  I loved every game I played.  Whether it be Mario, Zelda, Metroid or even Robin Hood... Each game transported me to a world within the shoes of these amazing characters.  I have many memories with Nintendo.  I can name at least ten of my favorite moments in my time playing Nintendo:
  1. As mentioned above, I can never forget my first time playing a video game.  In fact, it is the earliest time in my life that I can remember vividly without the aid of photographs.  The fact that it was my first time and I got really good at it fast, made me really happy.
  2. How can I ever forget the first time I fininshed a videogame?  I was probably around 4 or 5 when I first finished Super Mario Bros on the NES.  It was shortly after I started playing games.
  3. My next favorite Nintendo memory comes from beating Metroid on the NES.  Not because of the acomplishment of beating the game.  But actually because of the suprise when I found out at the end that Samus was actually a female when she removed her helmet.
  4. Playing Double Dragon on the NES with my brother.  It was always a riot because we spent most of the time beating on eachother, rather then our enemies.
  5. ***possible spoilers*** Three words:  Metal Fucking Gear (or just Metal Gear for short).  This was the first game to actually immerse me in the experience and trigger actual emotions.  The story was gripping and full of twists that always had me guessing what was around the next corner.  When I found out that the person behind the terrorist plot was none other than your commanding officer, blew my mind all over the place.  
  6. ***possible spoilers*** This one brings me to one of my favorite games to this day: Super Metroid.  A huge game with a ton of secrets and an ending that was nothing short of amazing!
  7. Travel about 8 years into the future after the release of Super Metroid and out comes Metroid Prime on the Game Cube.  A game which changed the classic 2D exploration into a fully 3D world, experienced in the first person behind Samus' visor.  This game (which eventually turned into a trilogy) are some of the best games ever made!
  8. When I heard that the Metal Gear Solid game (formerly released on the PSX) was being remade on the Game Cube under the title: Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes, it was all I thought about untill it came out.  And it was still all I thought about for months after it was released because I could not put the game down!  With new cutscenes, graphics and re-done voice work, this ranks up there with my favorite games of all time.
  9. One cool moment in my history with Nintendo was when I entered a Super Smash Bros Brawl tournament.  EB Games was packed with spectators.  With Link as my character, I wiped the floor with all the other players.  During one round even, my two opponents BOTH chose Falco and tried to take me down.  They both failed! People were even cheering for me!  It wasn't untill the final round when a Korean guy totally whooped my ass with Kirby...  So even though I didnt get to proceed to the next tourney, I won a sweet T shirt and was satisfied with 2nd place and the amount of fun I had!
  10. My last favorite memory I can remember is playing Twilight Princess for the first time.  I waited forever for them to release a TRUE succesor to Ocarina of Time and I wasn't dissapointed!  I was treated with an amazing and epic game! 
It wouldn't be too hard to think of 100 awesome Nintendo memories but I don't want this blog to be TOO long :)

I will admit that I am not as much of a Nintendo gamer thes days, though.  A few of my favorite videogame series such as Metal Gear and Final Fantasy jumped ship for Playstation.  My gaming horizon expanded to the next gen consoles (PS3 and Xbox360).  With Nintendo's lack of quality 3rd party support and the rare first party masterpieces, I regret to say that my Wii is a dust collector...

However, as rare as they may be, Nintendo finally releases a Nintendo exclusive which is nearly always followed by a gaming experience UNMATCHED by the competing consoles.  Whether it be Mario, Zelda or Metroid.  Rest assured, shortly after those Nintendo exclusives hit the shelves, it becomes the PS3's turn to collect the dust.

Nintendo for the WIN!

-Jonathan Valor

No comments:

Post a Comment